Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Meeting Mabel (Saturday 4/16)

On Saturday, we were privileged to have a visit from a young lady named Mabel!

Mabel is a year-and-a-half old Pit Bull mix, who has had a run of bad luck over the last few months.  I first heard of her through her FaceBook page called Rescue Mabel.  It showed up on my side panel, as "Someone you might like to know"... or whatever they call that category now back in January.  I clicked on the link, thinking that it was a lost dog notice on some one's personal page.

To my horror, it turned out to be a page that was started to find this lovely girl a home.  She had been left in her crate in a dumpster, and abandoned!  Poor girl was terrified, all alone, and in need of someone to love her.  I wanted to bring her home with me immediately.

But Mabel already had a foster home at this point.  I knew there was only so much that I could do for her, so I commented on her page saying how beautiful she was, and checked back on her from time to time.  I was not in a position to adopt her permanently, because, oddly enough, my SO and I had just put a rather large deposit down on an American Staffodshire Terrier puppy with a breeder out of state.  I knew that a new dog, who may or may not have emotional issues and a brand new puppy may be too much for even this dog lover.  So I watched and waited, and all seemed to be going well for her.

Mabel's page also shared postings from her rescue agency, Pitty Love Rescue, so I became a fan of their page also.  Last week, I saw a post that Mabel was in need of a new :)home.  I almost cried...  This poor girl had been through enough this year, hadn't she?  So I called my SO at work, and told him what the post said, and told him I wanted to foster her.  Can you believe he didn't even question it?  Go ahead he said, get all the information, and apply.  So I did.

The application was quite long.  I was terrified that we wouldn't be approved, for whatever reason, and that Mabel would end up in a boarding kennel, or (stars forbid) worse.  E-mail after e-mail, and a few days later we were able to have a home visit with Mabel and one of the Rescuers Jenn.

We were ecstatic!  We had been warned that she may not be good with cats, and we have one, so we were prepared with the cat in the kitchen and the gate up.  Mabel was great.  She played and wrestled with Twister our Am-Staff (Who is now 12 weeks old, and very nearly potty trained), and although she was very curious about BooBoo-Kitty :) She was never aggressive or overly agitated by him.  And she could pass for Twister's Twin!

The home visit went great.  Jenn told us there was a board meeting process, and that we had to get final approval, but that she would let us know on Tuesday or Wednesday.  When she left, we were discussing where to put the crate, and whether we should buy a taller gate... Just in case!

2 comments:

  1. How awesome!! What a touching story so far. I can't wait to see how everything plays out. I really hope you guys get her!!

    It sounds like she would fit into your home perfectly. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. We actually heard the decision... New blog will be posted tonight!

    ReplyDelete